Chocolate Butter Cake with Chocolate Buttercream
This Chocolate Butter Cake is definitely chocolatey (is that even a word?) This definitely went down a storm in my house – kids and adults alike! This cake is rich, indulgent and moist too. The chocolate buttercream was like velvet on my tongue.
You cannot see in the photo (above) but I frosted the entire cake (top and sides) with the rich chocolate buttercream frosting. It definitely added to the taste and texture. If you want even more texture, just grate or shave some dark chocolate on the top and sides of the cake.
Or perhaps white chocolate if you like the contrast.
Chocolate Butter Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 15-20 mins
Cook Time: 35-40 mins
Yield: serves 8-10
FOR THE CAKE:
- 120g dark chocolate, chopped
- 30g cocoa powder
- 240ml boiling water
- 295g plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 226g butter
- 400g granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 240ml milk
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 120g chocolate, chopped
- 150g unsalted butter
- 160g icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and place rack in the centre of the oven. Butter or spray with nonstick vegetable spray, two – 9x 2 inch (23x5cm) round baking pans. Line the bottoms with parchment or wax paper. I personally used a deep 8″ cake pan myself.
- In a heatproof bowl, place the chopped plain chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour the boiling water over the chocolate and cocoa powder and stir until they have melted. Set aside to cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk or sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until the mixture is fluffy (this will take about 3 minutes). Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla extract and melted chocolate mixture and beat to combine.
- Add the flour (in three additions) and milk (in two additions), beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat only until the ingredients are mixed together. Divide the batter evenly between the two earlier prepared pans and smooth the tops. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- For the frosting: Melt the chocolate for the frosting in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the icing sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Raise the speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Spread the frosting in the centre of your cake with a little strawberry jam (optional). Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of your cake. Smooth if required and set in the refrigerator.
Chocolate cake crumb covered kisses.