Chocolate Fudge Swirl Cupcakes
Who can resist the wonderful melt in the mouth chocolate fudge swirl cupcakes? Surely kids can’t. Namely twin boys which recently turned 5! Double the trouble!
I thought that they’d love the chocolatey goodness. This turned into somewhat of a craft project with the cupcake wrappers that I also made. I did buy some pretty papers to match but they ended up being too small for a cupcake wrapper. But not to fear, once I get my scalloped punches, they will come in super handy making cupcake toppers!
I’m quite happy with the way these turned out. The chocolate fudge frosting was so delicious, especially the texture. It was a lovely harder than buttercream consistency which melted in your mouth yet with a delicious crunch from the (optional) sprinkles added.
I’ll definitely make these again soon. I really enjoyed baking and decorating these and the crafting involved with the cupcake wrappers. Love, love, loved it! 😀
Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes
Yield: 16-20 cupcakes
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:16 minutes
Delicious rich chocolate fudge cupcakes with rich chocolate buttercream frosting swirls. Perfect chocolate treat for children of all ages.
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) boiling water
- 1⅓ cups (175g) plain (all purpose) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz (120g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- ⅔ cup (150g) unsalted butter
- 1⅓ cups (160g) icing (confectioners’) sugar, sifted
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F. Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl stir until smooth the boiling hot water and the cocoa powder. Let cool to room temperature.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Then in the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter and bake for about 16 – 20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean. (Do not over bake or the cupcakes will be dry.) Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, it’s time to make the chocolate fudge frosting.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute). Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 -3 minutes).
- Decorate cupcakes as desired.
Melt in your mouth chocolately goodness