Halloween Sugar Cookies
Happy Halloween!!!! It’s already almost midnight here and we’ve only had two ToT’ers. TWO!? Le sigh. 🙁 And I bought 3 largish boxes of candy to share. Perhaps it’s the rain that’s so heavy that the gutters look like a river going down the street that’s the issue?
But that doesn’t stop me celebrating, no siree! I made you decorated sugar cookies. Now you can tell why my blog has been quiet lately, huh? Because boy, I forgot just how much effort goes into decorating sugar cookies. *insert blushing smilie, heh*
And you know what? I baked these bad boys late at night then left them to cool and stored away. The next morning, a lot of them had been devoured. How many times do I have to remind my family NOT to eat things either…
a). before I’ve even had the chance to decorate them,
b). after I’ve decorated them but not have a chance to photograph them.
Gah! Gah! Gahhhh! I know a lot of you that blog will know exactly where I’m coming from! 😉
I made sandwiched sugar cookies filled with buttercream. Which need 2 to sandwich together obviously. And then the family eat 1 of the set of 2 and leave me with 1 part of a lonesome cookie that couldn’t be sandwiched with his better half. Poor fella, I felt sorry for him. What did I do about this catastrophe? I ate him, of course!
Mr & Mrs Jack o’ Lantern. Mrs complete with fake lashes and mascara. And of course, the Mr with a confused look on his face, like most men. (sorry if you’re a man reading this, but you know it’s true!)
I did intend on breaking these up into different posts but since they took me a few days to complete all of them, I though with it being halloween n’ all today that I’d combine them all into one halloweenie sugar rush. 🙂
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 😀 Time to go watch a scary movie if the giant man-baby will let me. He doesn’t like horror movies. Shh, don’t tell him I told you that!
Sugar Cookie Recipe
Prep Time:15 mins
Cook Time:10-15 mins
Yield: 12 cookies
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g granulated sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g plain (all-purpose) flour
- In a bowl or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract, stir well.
- Sift the flour into a separate bowl and add half the flour to the mixture and mix it in. Add the remaining flour and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Knead the ingredients together to make a soft dough, divide it into half, then wrap both halves in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 180℃/350℉/Gas Mark 4 and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Remove half the dough from the fridge and roll it out onto a lightly floured surface to approx. 3mm thick.
- Cut out your shapes and transfer to the baking trays and bake for 10-15 minutes until light golden brown.
- Repeat with the second half of the cookie dough and allow to cool.
- Decorate as desired.