As you may have already guessed, I am based in the UK. I have found a lot of differences between UK and US ingredients, names, and measurements which may be confusing to my US readers. To set this straight, I have set a guide here of UK to US names for some ingredients, oven temperatures, and measures.
There is a more in-depth conversion guide on my blog. This in-depth guide covers all of the following:
- Oven temperature guide (°C to °F and Gas Marks),
- Cake tin batter sizes – round/square,
- Solids, Liquids, Grams (g), and Ounces (oz) conversion,
- Marzipan (almond paste), rolled fondant/sugarpaste size rolling guide,
- Cake baking tin size to temperature and baking time chart,
- Upscaling and downscaling cake recipe/batter quantities.
If you cannot find what you are looking for, please do not hesitate to drop me an email.
- Caster Sugar = Superfine Sugar,
- Icing Sugar = Powdered or Confectioners Sugar,
- Plain Flour = All purpose flour,
- Marzipan = Almond paste,
- Self Raising Flour = All purpose flour but for every cup used, add 1½ teaspoons baking powder. I ‘think’ it maybe cake flour but cannot confirm that,
- Sultanas = Golden raisins.
- Cling film = Plastic Wrap or Saran wrap,
- Paper liners/Cupcake cases = Baking cases used to cook cupcakes.
*This list will be edited and added to as I come across international differences. Please feel free to comment below with any queries and I will edit and add to this list. Thank you.