You’ll go bananas for this all American Banana Cream Pie Recipe with an added banana flavoured cookie crumb crust! A thick and heavy topping of rich and creamy banana flavoured custard, finished off with a topping of sliced bananas.
Love this recipe? Sign up for Sweet 2 Eat Baking’s email subscription and never miss out again!
Banana Cream Pie Recipe with Banana Crust!
Soooooo… I have a weird relationship with bananas…
Don’t get me wrong, I love them, but I like them when they’re under ripe. That almost yellow colour but still a bit green. You know, Frankenstein bananas FTW! And if they’re a tad overripe, I won’t eat them.
It’s just how I roll. 😆
So when I made this banana cream pie I obviously had to let the bananas go speckly and ripe. There was this little voice in my head and it was screaming. I managed to actually ignore it. 🙂
Technically speaking, this isn’t actually a banana cream pie, it doesn’t actually have any cream in it what-so-ever. It’s actually a banana custard pie.
I didn’t like that name, it just reminded me of those foamy cream pies clowns throw into faces and clowns freak me out. *shudder*
Instead of making a shortcrust pastry for this pie I decided to adapt it to a digestive biscuit crust (basically a graham cracker crust). But instead of a regular crust, I added pureed bananas into the crust too. Banana crust, yay!
After pressing the bananas crusts into their pans, I decided I wanted both a smooth and fruity bite. I put sliced bananas directly onto the base of the crust. I made the custard from scratch but made it thicker. It needed to be thicker to set properly since I added approx. 4-5 pureed bananas into the custard then poured over the sliced bananas into the crust.
Overall, the pie is superbly banana-y. You can taste the banana flavour in the crust too. And it’s perfect with a sprinkle of icing (powdered) sugar. I realise it’s not the prettiest pie out there but believe me, it tastes great!
Banana Cream Pie Recipe with Banana Crust
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 9-inch pie
You'll go bananas for this all American banana cream pie recipe with an added banana flavoured cookie crumb base! A thick and heavy topping of rich and creamy banana flavoured custard, finished off with a topping of sliced bananas.
- 2 cups digestive biscuit/graham cracker crumbs
- 75g (⅓ cup) Whitworth’s granulated sugar
- 55g (¼ cup) mashed banana
- 55g (¼ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 170g (¾ cup) Whitworth’s granulated sugar
- 40g (⅓ cup) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 480ml (2 cups) milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 30g (2 tbsp) butter
- 1¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 bananas, divided (half mashed, half sliced)
- For the crust - Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Using a food processor, pulse the digestive biscuits (graham crackers) to crumbs. Or if you prefer, put the digestives or graham crackers into a bag and use a rolling pin to crush. Set aside.
- Prepare the bananas by dividing into two and mashing or pureeing one half, and slicing the other remaining half. Set aside.
- Add the granulated white sugar to the digestive/graham cracker crumbs. Add ¼ cup of the mashed banana to the crumbs.
- Add the melted butter over the crumb mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Press the crumbs into a 9″ pie dish or similar.
- Bake for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
- For the filling - In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, plain/all-purpose flour, and salt. Add the milk in slowly while stirring gently.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until the mixture starts to form bubbles on top. Keep stirring and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add the egg mixture to the rest of the mixture in the saucepan. Cook for 2 more minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, add butter, vanilla extract and remaining mashed bananas. Stir until incorporated.
- Arrange the sliced bananas into the cooled digestive biscuit/graham cracker crumb base then top with the mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool. Once cool, place in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.