Love cheesecakes? Then you’ll love this Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie. A flaky shortcrust cream cheese pastry base lined with chopped pecans, filled with a whipped cream and cream cheese mixture, then topped with a fresh tangy homemade blueberry filling.
Love this recipe? Sign up for Sweet 2 Eat Baking’s email subscription and never miss out again!
Hey guys! How was your weekend?
Mine was pretty eventless. You see, I visited the hospital last week and have been taken off some of my medication – the ones that actually make my life better, typically.
I keep getting random infections cropping up. Something one of my meds can cause, so as a precaution they’ve stopped them. And now I can feel the 80 year old body rapidly creeping back into my life. Blurrgghh!
And the exhaustion, too. You wouldn’t think that having arthritis would tire you out, right? But holy hell it does! Even if you have a lazy day, it’s there lurking… stalking up to whack you when you least expect it.
I guess that’s probably why it took me 3 days to make this Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie. Yup, you read that right, THREE whole days! Craziness!!
I made the pie crust on day 1, and was too exhausted to make the filling. On day 2, I made the amazing blueberry sauce. Then finally, on day 3, I finished the blueberry cream cheese pie.
It’s days like those three days when I wish I liked coffee! 😆
Not that this blueberry cream cheese pie would take three days to make, of course. Don’t panic!
In fact, if you’re really short on time, you could easily substitute the cream cheese shortcrust pastry for store-bought pastry. Or even make this a no bake dessert by using a pre-baked pastry crust. But I wouldn’t recommend that because this pastry is the bomb!
Cream cheese in pastry has to be pretty darn awesome, right? Like an ever so slightly tangy secret waiting to be uncovered by your taste buds.
Not to mention the chopped pecans lining the crust too. You can definitely taste their presence but if you prefer to omit them, that’s cool too – a preference thing n’ all.
And the filling? Ermagerd.
First there’s the rich cream cheese and whipped cream filling, which is then topped with the most amazing blueberry topping. So fresh and tangy.
Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 9-inch pie
This Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie has a flaky shortcrust cream cheese pastry base. Filled with a whipped cream and cream cheese mixture. Topped with a fresh tangy blueberry filling.
Cream Cheese Pie Crust
- 85g (⅜ cup) unsalted butter, cold
- 140g (1 heaped cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp baking powder
- 65g (¼ cup + 1 tbsp) full-fat cream cheese, cold
- 1 tbsp water, ice cold
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- (optional) 70g (scant ¾ cup / 2½oz) pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 115ml (4fl oz) water
- pinch of salt
- 215g (scant 1 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tbsp golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 280g (10oz) blueberries
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- 170g (6oz) full-fat cream cheese
- 125g (1 cup) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 235ml (8fl oz) whipping cream
- To make the pie crust, cut the cold butter into small cubes and pop them straight in the freezer for 30 minutes - the colder the ingredients, the more the pastry is flaky!
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder to a food processor with the blade attachment. Add the cold cream cheese and pulse for around 10-15 seconds, or until it resembles coarse sand.
- Add the butter and pulse again until none of the butter pieces are bigger then a pea.
- Add the cold water and white wine vinegar and continue pulsing, in short blasts, until no large pieces of butter remain and a dough forms.
- Roll out onto a lightly floured surface until just a little bigger than your pie dish. Line the dish with the pastry and prick the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Then push the chopped pecans into the surface. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the blueberry filling, whisk together the cornflour (cornstarch) and water in a small saucepan. Add the salt and 160g (just over ⅔ cup / 5½oz) of the caster (superfine) sugar, the golden syrup (or light corn syrup), and all of the blueberries.
- Bring to the boil over a medium heat and cook for 6 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature. The filling will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas mark 3. Line the pie crust loosely with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Blind-bake the pie crust for 8 minutes. Remove the baking beans and parchment and return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese whipped cream, beat the cream cheese with the icing (confectioners') sugar until fluffy - do not overbeat.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream with the remaining caster (superfine) sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture, then spoon into the cooled pie crust, evening out the filling.
- Top with the blueberry mixture and refrigerate until chilled and fully set.
- Too hot to bake? Make this a no bake dessert by using a pre-cooked 9-inch pie crust.
- All cup measurements are approximate.
Grab a forks and dive in to this delicious, fresh and tangy blueberry cream cheese pie!