This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Why have a chocolate chip cookie when you can have a brown butter giant cake sized cookie cake instead? Decorated like Captain America‘s shield with chocolate M&Ms. What’s not to love?
Hello friends. I’m excited about todays recipe post, mainly because it includes 2 great things; Marvel, a 10x $100 Walmart gift card giveaway, and M&M’s, but more on the M&M’s later.
A few days ago, Captain America: The Winter Soldier was released on DVD! Hurrah. What I love the most about Captain America is that he has no superhuman powers. Oh, and I’m kinda into the whole Marvel series anyway, so there’s that.
I love his shield too. Reminds me of the RAF logo. And we all know #HeroesEatMMs too. 🙂
But surely just 1 pack of M&Ms isn’t going to cut it…
Why not feed that superhero in your life with a Captain America M&M topped cookie cake instead? That’ll definitely curb the hunger pangs of any big or little super-heros. 🙂
This chocolate chip cookie cake is loaded with chocolate chips, moist, soft and chewy on the inside and a crisp cookie exterior.
When I saw the M&Ms on a recent shopping trip in Walmart (ASDA), I immediately envisioned making the Captain America shield out of the blue and red M&Ms. It was one of those lightbulb moments where you just want to scream “Ta Daaaa!”
[and air drum] at the top of your lungs in the supermarket!
Being the responsible adult I
‘m not am, I managed to refrain.
But sadly I had a fail. Scratch that, two fails. 🙁 Both cookie cakes sunk with the weight of the M&Ms after baking. I think I’ll chalk this one up as experience and get to work on adapting a cookie cake recipe.
It has to be the weight since I know the usual suspect causes for sunken cakes, and didn’t make any of those mistakes on both of these cookie cakes.
Despite its umm, unique look, this cookie cake is rich, moist and delicious. Made with browned butter, it’s soft and chewy on the inside and crisp on the outside with plenty of studded M&Ms- a perfect marriage in a giant cake size.
Are you a Marvel fan? Who is your favourite character? Do you love sorting through M&Ms for the red and blue M&Ms? 😆 🙂
$100 Walmart Gift Card Giveaway – Closed
Giveaway now closed.
Brown Butter Captain America Shield M&M Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 9-inch cookie cake
Why have a chocolate chip cookie when you can have a giant brown butter cake-sized cookie cake instead? Decorated like Captain America's shield with chocolate M&Ms. What's not to love?
- 170g (¾ cup) unsalted browned butter, softened
- 200g (1 cup) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ½ tsp salt
- 225g (1½ cups) milk chocolate chips
Captain America Shield Decoration
- 3-4 packs chocolate M&Ms, see notes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 5. Spray a 9″ pie dish or cake tin with cake release and set aside.
- Sort the M&Ms into red and blue colours. If you're able to get white M&M's in your country– great. They're not available here. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar creamy, then add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornflour (cornstarch), bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), and salt, then slowly add to the wet ingredients until just combined. Add the chocolate chips and and stir on low for a few seconds to incorporate.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared dish or tin, then arrange the M&M's, chopping in half to fit if neccessary, and press slightly into the cookie cake.
- Bake for 15 minutes; lightly cover with foil to prevent the edges from burning, then return for a further 5-10 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Once baked, allow to cool completely in the dish/tin on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, loosen the sides of the cookie cake with a sharp knife or palette knife. Transfer to a serving dish, or serve directly from the tin/pie dish.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The amount of M&Ms will depend on whether you buy them in larger packs, or if you can buy them already sorted into separate colours. I found 3-4 larger packs to be sufficient, but each bag varies on the colours inside.
Subscribe via email to get sugar-filled posts delivered to your inbox!