These Chocolate Rolo Melt Cookies are so quick and easy to make and taste phenomenal thanks to the indulgent chocolate flavour, and melted Rolo ooey-gooeyness. No dough to roll out too!
Love this recipe? Sign up for Sweet 2 Eat Baking’s email subscription and never miss out again!
Hi guys! Long time no hear, eh? I know I haven’t been posting regularly as of late. I do apologise. I want to take a moment, wear my heart on my sleeve, and explain why I’ve been on an unplanned hiatus to you all.
Way back in June, my partner (the giant man-baby) and I were having some troubles in our relationship. I’d say that we had a strong relationship together, but my illness caused us to be together pretty much 24/7. Even the most strongest of relationships cannot survive being together for that amount of time without space apart, and that included us.
As you can imagine, we ended up fighting all.the.time. The more we fought, the more we grew apart. Don’t get me wrong, we still loved each other, but we were both in such a bad place and were desperately unhappy. I didn’t want us to resent each other for things out out of our control so when things came to a head in mid June, we decided it would be best if he were to move out and go back to work again.
So that’s what happened. I had to adjust to being a single Mum again. Being a single Mum is hard at the best of times, but being a physically disabled single Mum felt absolutely impossible! And to top things off, the stress of being a single Mum again and having to deal with absolutely everything in the household made me incredibly stressed.
And the stress caused my illness to flare up more so. At that time, I kept getting infections which then caused the hospital to stop my medications – the ones that were working too! So I pretty much ended up bedridden and in agony. Pfffttt!
However, as time has progressed, I’ve become accustomed to my new lifestyle and my illness is gradually improving again. I’m not 100%, but I’m on the road to becoming my kind of normal again. I’ll never make it 100% because of my illness and disability, but I’m slowly improving without the help of the strong medications from the hospital. The meds I’m on from the hospital include a chemotherapy drug. This made my mobility better, but the side-effects were terrible – nausea, headaches, and some hair loss.
And if you were wondering, the giant man-baby and I are still together and our relationship seems to be much better now with him being back at work again and not in each others’ faces 24/7. 🙂
Then in September, my Grandpa suddenly died. That was odd in itself as he only went into hospital following a fall! Fast forward to around a month ago, my beautiful African Grey parrot, Ruby, suddenly collapsed too. We got her to the vets but she died shortly after. She was only 9 years old too, she should have outlived me.
So now you know why I just disappeared without a trace.
Now I’ve got that out of the way, let’s talk about these Chocolate Rolo Melt Cookies, shall we?
You can’t beat a bit of chocolate goodness in the colder months. I don’t know about you, but for me chocolate seems extra special when it cold outside. There’s just that feeling of warmth you get when you wrap yourself in a warm fluffy blanket curled up in front of the fire watching a good movie with chocolate – like this super thick european style hot chocolate, but this time it comes in an ooey gooey warm chocolate roll melt cookie.
These Rolo melt cookies are best served warm while the chocolate and rolos are slightly melted, but you can always make in advance and pop in the microwave to re-heat. I mean, look’it that melty goodness!
Chocolate Rolo Melt Cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 24 cookies
These Chocolate Rolo Melt Cookies are so quick and easy to make and taste phenomenal thanks to the indulgent chocolate flavour, and melted Rolo ooey-gooeyness.
- 225g (1 cup) butter, softened
- 225g (1 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp milk
- 250g (2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 30g (¼ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 24 Rolos, wrapper removed
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until well combined, then add the milk and mix to combine.
- Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and mix until a dough starts to form, then mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Using your hands or a 2-tablespoon ice cream scoop, scoop or roll walnut-sized balls of dough and place them on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them around 4cm/1-inch apart.
- Push 1 Rolo in each ball of dough, be careful not to push to the very bottom, and pop the baking sheets in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Once chilled, bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies look dry on top and a little cracked. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack and leave until firm to the touch.
These cookies are best served warm to get that soft ooey gooey chocolate and caramel from the Rolo. But can be made in advance and warmed in the microwave. You can enjoy them cool too, of course.
Will you eat your Rolo Melt Cookies warm and gooey or cold?