This New York Crumb Cake has a soft layer of cake for the crumbs to rest on. The addition of cinnamon sugar amps up the already present cinnamon flavour.
New York Crumb Cake Recipe
Hi Guys! You know what?.. It has taken me exactly 11549 days of my life to finally try a crumb cake!
Yes, that’s right, little ol’ me has spent 31 years and 227 days without ye wonderfulness of crumb cake. I know, I know… sad. Please don’t hurt me.
But my days of drooling over your crumb cakes and wondering what they taste like are over.
I now live in crumb cake land, and I’m happy to be here. It even has its own zip code. 😉
I love anything with a crumb, streusel or crumble coating, so I knew I’d love this cake. And I was right too – like little pillows of soft cake for the crumbs to rest on. 🙂
I barely adapted the recipe, but I did decide to opt for cinnamon sugar instead of icing (confectioners’) sugar for the final dusting. It amped up the cinnamon already present and accounted for. 🙂
I guess I’ll be crumbing everything up from now on. (Read: keep an eye out 😉 )
New York Crumb Cake
Yield: 9x12-inch pan
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
New York Crumb cake has a soft layer of cake for the crumbs to rest on. The addition of cinnamon sugar amps up the already present cinnamon flavour.
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 4 cups plain (all-purpose) flour, plus more for pan
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- icing (confectioners’) sugar or cinnamon sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Grease and flour a 9x12-inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1½ cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a second bowl, whisk together egg, milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine remaining 2½ cups flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbs over batter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven, rotating pan after 10 minutes. Continue baking until a cake tester comes out clean, about 10 minutes more.
- Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar, cinnamon sugar or vanilla sugar. Using a serrated knife or bench scraper, cut into 3-inch squares.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
P.S. Sorry about the photos – night time photography sucks.