These Spiced Apple & Mixed Crumble Bars recipe have sliced apples infused with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, topped off with dried mixed fruit and sandwiched between two coats of crumble slices. Comfort food at its best!
Love this recipe? Sign up for Sweet 2 Eat Baking’s email subscription and never miss out again!
Spiced Apple & Mixed Fruit Crumble Bars
The [slushy] leaves are on the floor, the weather has cooled considerably and the heating is on.
All those things that give you that warm fuzzy feeling you get and the urge to kick off your rain soaked shoes, swap for slippers and jump in front of the fire with a steaming hot cup of cocoa complete with marshmallows. 🙂
But for the sugar fiend that I am, hot chocolate and marshmallows aren’t enough, I need comfort food too. And sugar = comfort food. 😆
As apples are very much in season, I wanted to do something with apples. Apple pie and apple crumble came to mind, but I wanted something different and umm… a bit better.
That’s where the spiced apple and mixed fruit crumble bars made their entrance!
Perfectly sandwiched between two crumble layers hides slices of spiced apples infused with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, and topped off with mixed fruit.
I placed the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cornflour (cornstarch) in a bowl then tossed the apple slices until completely coated in the spice mix.
If you want that extra winter/Christmas feeling, you could even soak the dried fruits in brandy too! *squeals* I also decided that, like apple pies, I’d place a little sugar on the top before baking. Not ordinary sugar though, cinnamon sugar, baby! 😉
These spiced apple and mixed fruit crumble bars also create the most amazing aroma in the house too. Who needs seasonal air fresheners when you can bake? 😆
Spiced Apple and Mixed Fruit Crumble Bars
Yield: 12 bars
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Thinly sliced apples spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, topped with dried mixed fruit sandwiched between two coat crumble slices. Comfort food at its best!
- 200g (7oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 250g (9oz) light brown sugar
- 120g (4oz) rolled oats
- 300g (10½oz) apples
- 4 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 175g (6oz) mixed fruits, see notes
- cinnamon sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3, and line a 22 x 31cm (9 x 12½in) tray with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl, add the butter and rub together until the consistency of breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar and rolled oats. If you prefer, you can mix together the dry ingredients with the butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, then stir in the sugar and oats by hand. After mixing, press half the mixture into the prepared tray - set aside.
- Peel and core the apples, then cut into thin slices and mix together with the cornflour (cornstarch) and ground spices. Place the spice-coated apple slices in lines on the top of the oat mixture in the base of the tray, then sprinkle over the mixed fruit. Spoon the remaining mix over the apples and mixed fruits and press down gently.
- [Optional] Sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on the top oat mixture layer for an extra cinnamon kick.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the mixture is golden brown. Allow to cool completely in the baking tray before cutting into slices to serve.
If you cannot get dried "mixed fruit" from your local grocery store, substitute with whatever dried fruit you like - e.g. cranberries would be awesome for a festive flavour!
Adapted from Cake Days book.