Banana Cream Pie
I have a weird relationship with bananas. Don’t get me wrong, I love them, but I like them when they’re under ripe. That almost yellow colour but still a bit green. Frankenstein bananas FTW! If they’re a tad overripe, I won’t eat them. It’s just how I roll.
So when I made this banana cream pie I obviously had to let the bananas go speckly and ripe. There was this little voice in my head and it was screaming. I managed to actually ignore it.
Technically speaking, this isn’t actually a banana cream pie, it doesn’t actually have any cream in it what-so-ever. It’s actually a banana custard pie. I didn’t like that name, it just reminded me of those foamy cream pies clowns throw into faces and clowns freak me out. *shudder*
Instead of making a shortcrust pastry for this pie I decided to adapt it to a digestive biscuit crust (basically a graham cracker crust). But instead of a regular crust, I added pureed bananas into the crust too. Banana crust, yay!
After pressing the bananas crusts into their pans, I decided I wanted both a smooth and fruity bite. I put sliced bananas directly onto the base of the crust. I made the custard from scratch but made it thicker. It needed to be thicker to set properly since I added approx. 4-5 pureed bananas into the custard then poured over the sliced bananas into the crust.
Overall, the pie is superbly banana-y. You can taste the banana flavour in the crust too. And it’s perfect with a sprinkle of icing (powdered) sugar. I realise it’s not the prettiest pie out there but believe me, it tastes great!
Banana Cream Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Yield: 9in pie
FOR THE CRUST:
- 2 cups digestive biscuit/graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup Whitworth’s granulated sugar
- ¼ cup mashed banana
- ¼ cup (½ a stick) unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE FILLING:
- ¾ cup Whitworth’s granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 bananas, divided (half mashed, half sliced)
FOR THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/350℉/gas mark 4.
- Using a food processor pulse the digestive biscuits or graham crackers to crumbs. Or if you prefer, put the digestives or graham crackers into a bag and use a rolling pin to crush. Set aside.
- Prepare the bananas. Half mashed or pureed and half sliced. Set aside.
- Add the granulated white sugar to the digestive/graham cracker crumbs. Add ¼ cup of the mashed banana to the crumbs.
- Add the melted butter over the crumb mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Press the crumbs into a 9″ pie dish or similar.
- Bake for 5 minutes and allow to cool.
FOR THE FILLING:
- In a saucepan, combine the granulated sugar, plain/all-purpose flour, and salt. Add the milk in slowly while stirring gently.
- Cook over a medium heat, stirring continuously until the mixture starts to form bubbles on top. Keep stirring and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove from the heat
- Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add the egg mixture to the rest of the mixture in the saucepan. Cook for 2 more minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, add butter, vanilla extract and remaining mashed bananas. Stir until incorporated.
- Arrange the sliced bananas into the cooled digestive biscuit/graham cracker crumb base then top with the mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool. Once cool, place in the refrigerator for an hour before serving.