It’s bonfire night (whoop!) But sadly, this is the last installment of bonfire night goodies (boo!)
It’s been like a war zone here. Fireworks making that loud fizzing/squealing noise with a pop at the end. Then, of course, there’s the bangers. You know the type, the ones that shoot up with no noise at all then an almighty ear-popping bang that ricochets around the houses. The ones that make you jump so such your heart races! They’re like someone sneaking up on you in the middle of the night with a balloon and a pin! *clutches chest!*
There’s only one way to settle your nerves… campfire cupcakes! You’re going to want to put your sparklers down for these bad boys and gather by the fire. They are a chocolate cupcake complete with milk chocolate chips inside. And not only that, another sprinkling of milk chocolate chips on top of the batter too. Completed with toasted marshmallows too! Because no campfire is complete without toasted marshmallow kabobs. Yes, I love you too.
Take these to share at your next bonfire or campfire party, you’ll be thanked for it later.
Campfire Cupcakes Recipe
Prep Time:10 mins
Cook Time:15-20 mins
Yield: 8-12 cupcakes
- 140g (approx. ⅔ cup) light brown sugar
- 100g (approx. ¾ cup) self-raising flour
- 50g (approx. ½ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 125ml (approx. 9 tbsp) vegetable or canola oil
- 3 tbsp milk
- 50g (approx. ¼ cup) milk chocolate chips, plus extra for sprinkling on batter
- approx. 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 180℃/350℉/Gas Mark 4 and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the eggs, vegetable oil and milk and mix until well combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tray until ¾ full. Depending on the size of your cases, the yield varies between 8 large muffin style cupcakes, or 12 smaller cases.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium heat and using toothpicks, skewer mini marshmallows. You will need 2 toothpicks per cupcake. On one of the toothpicks, leave the middle free of a mini marshmallows so they can lay flat on the cupcakes.
- Place the cupcakes (still in the pan) under the grill until lightly browned. This process can take as little as 30 seconds. And once they start toasting, they can burn in seconds so be ready to pull them out quickly!