This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CrispyIsBack #CollectiveBias
If you love crunchy desserts and snacks, you’ll love these M&M’S® Crispy Chocolate Cupcakes. M&M’S® Crispy baked right into a light, fluffy and decadent chocolate cupcake. Then garnished with a silky chocolate frosting topped with even more delicious M&M’S® Crispy.
Love this recipe? Sign up for Sweet 2 Eat Baking’s email subscription and never miss out again!
Hey guys! Have you seen the exciting news down at your local Walmart store?
M&M’S® Crispy are back, baby! 🙂
If you’re not familiar with M&M’S® Crispy, they’re slightly bigger than regular M&M’S®, but have a crispy wafer centre. Unfortunately, they were discontinued in 2005, but after 10 looooong years, they’re now back again!
And if you’re still watching your weight (umm yeah, I failed my New Years resolutions a long time ago), M&M’S® Crispy only have 180 calories per bag too. #winwin
I must admit to being a long time fan of the M&M’S® Crispy variety. In fact, I pretty much love all varieties of M&M’S®!
I have memories associated to each flavour. too. I tend to eat the peanut M&M’S® watching movies – they’re like popcorn to me. I’d sometimes have the M&M’S and popcorn!
M&M’S® Crispy always remind me of car journeys too. I used to get motion sickness and would munch on some M&M’S® Crispy because they helped curb my hunger, obvs, and the wafer inside helped with my motion sickness.
No car journeys today though. But I will be taking you on a journey to Yumville with these M&M’S® cupcakes. No need to pack your suitcases though!
I wanted to re-create something a little different with these M&M’S® cupcakes.
They have M&M’S® Crispy baked in the batter of a light, fluffy, and indulgent chocolate cupcake. The cupcakes are topped with a silky smooth chocolate buttercream frosting, with another generous helping of crispy M&M’S®.
In fact, I inadvertently created multi-purpose cupcakes… The well of frosting like of looks like an Easter nest with rainbow eggs. And on a second glance, these cupcakes also look like a rainbow pot of gold perfectly suited for St. Patrick’s day, too!
My kids loved how pretty and colourful these cupcakes are. They were even more surprised to discover the delicious M&M’S® surprises inside the cupcakes too.
Chocolate M&M's Crispy Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
M&M’S®Crispy baked right into a light, fluffy and decadent chocolate cupcake. Topped with chocolate frosting, and garnished with M&M’S®.
Chocolate M&M’S® Crispy Cupcakes
- 125g (½ cup + 1tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 140g (⅔ cup) light brown sugar
- 100g (¾ cup) self-raising (self-rising) flour, sifted
- 50g (½ cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp instant espresso powder
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2x share size (5oz/141g) bags of M&M’S® Crispy, divided
- 170g (¾ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- 2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 450g (3¼ cups) icing (confectioners') sugar, sifted
Chocolate M&M’S® Crispy Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°'F/Gas Mark 4, and line a muffin tin with paper cases. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light, pale and fluffy. In another bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and espresso powder.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle, add a spoonful of the flour mixture. Add the milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture on low and mix until just incorporated.
- Gently fold one pack of the M&M’S Crispy into the batter.
- Spoon or scoop the batter into the muffin tin and bake for around 18-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Beat the butter with some of the icing sugar, the gradually add the icing sugar and cocoa powder until combined.
- If the frosting is a little too stiff, add 2-4 tablespoons of milk to the consistency required.
- Add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with an open star nozzle (I used a Wilton 1M), and pipe around the outer edge only, twice. This will create a well for the M&M's.
- Carefully add some M&M's in the middle of the frosting, eyeballing the amount needed.
- Repeat with the remaining cupcakes, then allow the frosting to set before serving.
Cupcake recipe adapted from my Campfire Cupcakes.
I purchased the bigger share size bag 5oz (141g) from the candy/baking aisle at Walmart as shown below.
However, the smaller [individual] sized Crispy M&M’S® can also be found strategically located at the checkouts, so be warned if you’re shopping with the kidlets – those checkout walls of candy always have my kids pestering
and me hankering for sweets, too!
See more great M&M’s® Crispy recipe and party ideas on the M&M’S® Crispy social hub.
I’m glad M&M’S® Crispy are back again. Have you missed them too?