If you love Earl Grey tea, you’ll love these Earl Grey Cupcakes. The delicate bergamot flavour of Earl Grey tea will intensify with every bite.
Do not adjust your monitors for yes, it is I. 😆
I can’t believe it has been such a long time since my last blog post. To cut a looonnngg story short, before I left I was dealing with some issues, and had been feeling very down. Because of this, it was becoming impossible to try to be cheerful on my blog.
I didn’t want to post anything negative, so thought the best action was the old saying of “If you haven’t got anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”
Unfortunately, for me, things are probably at the worst they’ve ever been now. But I’m just trying to work through it the best I can – by counting my blessings.
I have missed baking terribly and on Sunday, Mother’s Day in the UK, there wasn’t any better excuse than to give that personal touch to the two mothers in my life than to bake cupcakes. 🙂
My Mum is such an Earl Grey tea snob. I mean seriously, she won’t drink any other tea than Earl Grey. And this is a woman that will always carry a few Earl Grey teabags in her handbag just in case she may, god forbid, end up somewhere that doesn’t serve it.
She even takes the teabags away on holiday (vacation) too!
So it’s definitely safe to say that she has some sort of Earl Grey fetish. That’s why I just knew she’d absolutely adore these cupcakes. And I was right too… yaaaa! *fist punches air*
These cupcakes are super moist, fluffy and infused with the delicate bergamot flavour from the Earl Grey tea that is left to infuse for 30 minutes! The cupcakes get better the longer you
resist leave them too.
They’re also an ideal Mother’s Day gift. If you have a particular fondness for a different blend of tea, you can easily switch up the flavours to your liking.
Earl Grey Cupcakes
Prep Time:45 minutes
Cook Time:12 minutes
If you love Earl Grey tea, you'll love these Earl Grey Cupcakes. The delicate bergamot flavour of Earl Grey tea will intensify with every bite.
For the Cupcakes
- 125ml (½ cup) semi-skimmed milk
- 4 Earl Grey teabags, see notes
- 110g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 225g (1 cup) white sugar
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 125g (1 cup) self-raising flour, sifted, see notes
- 120g (scant 1 cup) plain (all purpose) flour
For the Frosting
- 110g (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 60ml (¼ cup) semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g (4 cups) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- lilac food colouring
- To make the cupcakes, heat the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until just begins to boil. Remove from the heat and add the teabags. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to infuse for about 30 minutes, then discard the teabags.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C (160°F fan), 350°F, gas mark 4. Line a muffin tray with liners.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and smooth, around 3-5 minutes. Add the almond extract, if using, and the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Combine the two flours in a separate bowl. Add one-third of the flours to the creamed mixture and beat well. Pour in one-third of the infused milk and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk have been added.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake liners, filling them around two-thirds full. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the muffin tray for 5 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter, milk, vanilla extract and half the icing (confectioners’) sugar until smooth. Gradually add the remaining icing (confectioners’) sugar and mix until smooth and creamy
- Add a small (end of toothpick) amount of purple food colouring and mix throughly.
- Pipe onto cupcakes. Then add sprinkles, sugar flowers, or sugar to decorate.
If you do not have self-raising flour, replace with 245g (2 cups minus 1 tsp) plain (all purpose) flour and add 1½ tsp baking powder.
Subscribe via email to get sugar filled posts delivered direct to your inbox