Happy weekend all!! I hope you’re all enjoying Summer. I can’t agree though because here in the UK, we’ve had the wettest June/July on record so far! Yesterday we had 1 months worth of rain in one day! Typically, that had to be the day where I had appointments and had to be out in the rain! Drowned rat mucho? Please can someone send some Summer vibes over to the UK?
Anyway, enough about me, I bring you something a little different in today’s guest post. I found Hani’s blog, Haniela’s shortly after beginning Sweet 2 Eat Baking and have been happily subscribed ever since. She posts a variety of different and creative things. Hani is amazingly talented in everything she cooks and bakes and this shows in her wonderful writing style,providingd delicious recipes and amazingly stunning photography. Take it away, Hani…
Berry Cheese Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Hi, my name is Hani aka Haniela of Haniela’s. I have a true passion for food, I love to bake and cook, creating new recipes has become an obsession and my biggest food “enemies” are good bread and full-fat ice cream. All my dieting goals usually melt at their presence.
I thought I’d sharea few things about me : My kitchen gets a “beating” everyday, the minute I clean up I think of something else I can whip up, making mess in the kitchen, I don’t drink soda, I tend to read all food labels and generally I don’t buy processed foods, I mean if the label of ingredients is longer than I care to read it is not coming home with me. I love to peel food, I have a weakness for good jam and I love my chocolate chilled. Oh and I forgot when eating ice cream, I love to sandwich 2 ice cream full cones together.
Thank you Lisa for inviting me over. When Lisa first invited me to write a guest post I knew I had to make something from berries. They are the perfect fruit. I love fruit and berries I could eat all day long. Today I prepared a really easy, no fuss muffins. I believe you could make them using only blueberries but I decided to add strawberries which made them even moister.
Berry Cheese Muffins with Lemon Glaze
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Berry Cheese Muffins with Lemon Glaze are the perfect muffin for summer. Enjoy for breakfast or as a tasty snack.
Berry Cheese Muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (optional, if not using use all purpose flour instead)
- 2 tbsp oats
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract/Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 1/4 cup ricotta cheese or farmer’s cheese
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut up in small pieces
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- To make the berry cheese muffins: Butter or spray with Pam spray 2 muffin pans, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- In a medium bowl whisk together: eggs, vanilla extract, ricotta cheese, buttermilk, oil.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry, using a whisk, stir just until combined.
- Gently fold in fruit.
- Fill the muffin pans evenly and bake for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer onto a cooling rack and let cool before glazing.
- Prepare glaze: in a small saucepan heat the butter, lemon juice and lemon zest, heat just until butter melts, remove from heat and pour over powdered sugar, stir vigorously until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Pour glaze over cooled muffins and let set. If the glaze becomes too thick, microwave for a couple of seconds.
In a Large bowl combine flours, oats, sugars, baking powder, cardamom, stir well until combined.
Hope you’ll give these a try in future, I can’t wait to see you at Haniela’s soon.